Thursday, June 28, 2012

Surgery Day

Carter did so well at the surgery appointment. He did not freak out until we went back to the pre-op room and he saw the big bed. I climb in the bed with him to calm him down and then the nurse brought us the loopy meds. She tried to give them to him but there was no way he was going to take it from her so I said I would try. I told him to lay on the pillow and just did what any mom would have to get her child to take the yucky meds that burned his throat, I bribed him. I squeezed his cheeks and opened his mouth and down those meds went. Then I of course gave him the stickers I had promised. I was worried at first that the part he had spit out would make the meds not work, but I was wrong. Within 10 min. he was a whole new kid. He was talking about wanting to go swimming and playing in the dirt. They told him he would be going for a ride in the big bed and he went like a good boy. He looked back to see if I was there only once. I could see the operating room when I walked by and cried just a little.

It took about 45 min and he was done! They took a picture of his tonsils next to a large sized safety pin to show me how bad they were. I was glad we did it once I saw those huge tonsils. He had some issues with his tummy once he woke up so we stayed a little bit longer than normal.
Once we got home he just wanted me to hold him so we snuggled in mommy's bed and watched cartoons for the rest of the day. Day 1 and 2 are supposed to be the best days because the scabs have not started forming yet. 3-7 are said to be the much harder! Tomorrow should be  interesting with it being day 3.

No comments: