Monday, May 07, 2012

Collins' Birth story

Collins Birth Story: This is long warning :)



On January 13th I started having symptoms of high blood pressure at work. I went to the nurse to get checked. Sure enough I was running really how on both top and bottom numbers. I went to the doctor that afternoon and was 150/100. They decided to do a test over the weekend for pre-eclampsia. What a fun test that was! If any of you have ever had to do this you totally know what I am talking about.  When I went in on Monday it was negative. Woo Hoo we were all very excited. They told me to come back on Tuesday and get checked again. Tuesday, I was still running high. They said I should not go to work on Wednesday and see if that would lower it. I went in on Wednesday, January 18, and was 166/122. Then everything started happening really fast. They said we are admitting you to Labor and delivery. I heard the doctor call into the hospital and let them know I was coming. This is when I started to realize that things were not going to go as we had planned. Funny how things work out. My doctor and I have been together for the past 15 years. So, he knows me pretty well. I think he could see the panic starting to set in so he came in and told me everything that was about to happen. He said that he needed to admit me to prevent a stroke since my blood pressure was so high. He thought that he could keep it down and keep me on bed rest in the hospital for the next 6-8 weeks. My friend is a nurse there so she drove me over to the hospital and waited with me until Ryan or my mom could get there. My first concern was Carter. He was at his babysitter and needed to be picked up and taken care of. Thank goodness for great friends. Tiffany was right there to pick up the slack that day. She went and got him and later brought him to the hospital to visit before taking him home with her for the next few days. Ryan’s sister and Tiffany switched off watching Carter for the week we were all in the hospital.






When we finally got settled in at labor and delivery things started moving in fast forward. We would be told you will be here for a long while then that there would be a possibility they would take the baby. This went on for 48 hours. Ryan’s step-mom came in on Thursday morning and sat at the hospital with us all day. They monitored me every 30 min. Dr. C came in on Thursday and said he thought that I needed to go ahead and get 2 rounds of steroids to help develop the babies lungs in case of an early delivery. We had an ultrasound done around noon and saw the baby. He was measuring on time and was right at 3 pounds. Later that evening we were told by one of our night nurses to prepare to have the baby the next day. She was under the impression that they had decided to take him since my pressures will still running so high. (Freak out moment happens here) We went ahead and called all of our family to let them know what we had found out. We began praying that Gods will would be done. I had a friend that had both of her babies at 32 and 33 weeks who I called to get as many tips on delivering early as I could. Bless her heart she talked with me for hours just trying to calm me down and prepare me for the reality of having a 9 week early baby.




The next morning Dr. C came in around 9 and said it was baby time. They prepped me for a c-section and Ryan and my mom were there to hold my hands. The NICU doctor came and talked with us and said just pray he comes out screaming that means his lungs are working well. So, that is what we did. We prayed he came out mad. That was one thing we got good at during this whole adventure. We prayed for specific things everyday. We found that it was easier to think it terms of 1 thing at a time then all the things that were happening or could happen at one time. At 12:38pm On January 20, 2012, Collins Oran Harrison came out screaming at the top of his very efficiently working lungs.
Praise God. 2 pounds 15 ounces and 16 inches long






More to come……



No comments: