Wednesday, May 09, 2012

On our way to the NICU...

PhotobucketAfter I had Collins all I could think about was what would come next. When would I be able to see him? When would he be ok? When would we get to go home? Little did I know that these questions and so many more would take weeks to figure out.

I had told Dr. C. and the nurses that I wanted to try and make it to where Carter could see the baby before they took him to the NICU. We knew this would be the only way for him to see him before he came home since children under 16 are not allowed in the NICU during RSV season. They had told our family and friends which elevator the NICU doctors and nurses would be taking Collins through to get from the delivery floor to the NICU floor. The hospital plays a little song when a baby is born so they said when you hear the song go to the elevator. You can only imagine how many people were at that tiny elevator. Carter was able to see his baby brother for a short time. It was so good for him to know the baby was not in mommy's belly anymore and that he was ok.

From 12:38 - 4:00 was the longest time ever for me. I had to wait until I had gotten back to my room and was able to move my legs before they would let me go to the NICU to see the baby. I knew he was breathing, at that point they had not intubated him, and that he weighed a whopping 2.15 pounds. That was it. All I wanted was to get down to see him. Later that afternoon I was able to go and visit for the first time. I was still on a lot of meds for my current condition so things were a little hazy. I found out later after becoming such great friends with the NICU nurses that they laughed at me the whole time. I was their entertainment that day. HA! When I got there he had been intubatedand was on C-PAP with lights for jaundice. Neither would last long but for me that was the worst thing in the world. I just wanted to hold him and tell him I was there. His little body would not permit it. It needed time to adjust to being outside in this world.
We knew right away what a fighter we had on our hands.



No comments: